Pages

Tuesday 20 August 2013

I Have Arrived!

Hi Everyone!

It's about 9:30 pm here now and I have been in Southampton for 7-ish hours.  I'm munching on a milk chocolate biscuit and watching what the lady on E4 keeps calling "Classic American Comedy" which has included How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, New Girl and The Mindy Project over the course of the evening :)

My flight was really smooth though I got pretty restless since I couldn't really sleep even though I was super exhausted.

Yes, I took a selfie when I boarded.

We chased the sunrise and it was beautiful!

My window was pretty dirty so I couldn't really get any good pictures from the air plane.

When I got to the airport it was easy enough to get to customs and baggage claim and then to find the train station.  However, my bags were SO HEAVY and there were a lot of escalators and stairs rather than elevators which was very unhelpful.  In total my bags weighed over 100 lbs. so it was quite a struggle at times!  

I ended up sitting on the airport floor because I was so exhausted and frustrated while waiting for the train and all of the chairs around were taken.  I know this is disgusting but at that point I didn't care one bit!  Some nice people helped me carry my bags up and down stairs when they saw me struggling at the train station both at the airport and in Southampton so that helped a lot.  Also this nice lady helped me to get on the train in time since the doors were open for like two seconds and I wasn't sure if it was even the right one so I hesitated and almost missed it.  Apparently there is a button on outside of the doors on some of the trains that you can press to get the doors to open for you again if you did not get on in time.  I literally leapt into the coach with a shriek (I also did a lot of nervous singing and mumbling to myself throughout the day in my state of stress...oh dear...) and I was able to enjoy the two hour train journey south from there.  

I saw a castle from the train!  I have no idea where we were at that point though.


There were cabs waiting at Southampton station (after I descended another treacherous flight of stairs with the help of a kind stranger) and within a few minutes I was at my new flat.  I was a few minutes early to meet my landlady so I saw on the curb with all of my luggage until she showed up to let me in.  

The first thing I did when she left (after going on Facebook) was take a nap.  Then I took a shower (using the blanket that I got on the plan as a makeshift towel) because I felt super disgusting and ventured around the corner to Tesco to get some food.

This was what I bought for dinner.  SO GOOD!

That was all the adventuring I could take for today so I decided to just unpack and watch telly for the evening.  

So without further ado, here are some photos of my flat!  I have some more decorating to do but I am feeling pretty well settled for now.

My front hall closet.

View from my front foyer/hallway thing.

Bathroom on the left.

It's silly how excited I am to have my own bathroom 
for the first time in my life!

Main living area.

Kitchen area.

TV with actual channels!  Woohoo!


Front door from the living room.

All the kitchen utensils and dishes that I will need are already here!


I am really happy but really tired so I am looking forward to getting a good sleep tonight!  Tomorrow I go to do all of my paperwork at TimePlan and to get a bank account and hopefully a phone.  I will take some more photos of my new city and share them with you all ASAP.

Bye for now!

-Heather <3

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They have your tea cakes for like 80 p at Tesco as well :)

      Delete
  2. Love the update. Wishing you great and peaceful adventures <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweet friend! I will write another post soon! :)

      Delete
  3. Sleeeeeeeeep my love! Great post; keep 'em coming. (After sleep!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Heather! Your flat looks awesome, nothing is that in Luton haha. Your journey sounds similar to mine, but holy crap 100lbs of baggage...I had about 75lbs and thought I was going to die. The lack of elevators is definitely hard, the Luton train station doesn't even have an escalator so some nice young lad helped me with one of my bags haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya I went with AirTransat and my Grandpa bought my ticket and he got me the Option Plus thing which gave me an extra 21 lbs. of baggage. That was all fine and dandy until I got off the plane-then I hated my life!! lol Thank goodness for the friendly British people who helped us! I'm not sure how I would have made it otherwise!

      Delete